Low back pain is one of the most common complaints I see in my practice. The good news is that I have a very effective tool to help, which is Ortho-Bionomy. I have seen great results ranging from complete vanishing of pain in one or two sessions to a reduction of pain over the course of multiple sessions.
The most common symptoms of low back issues can include:
- Pain right along lower spine or sacrum,
- SI joint pain ( the joints between your sacrum and your pelvis on both sides),
- Hip pain on one or both sides,
- Pain or tightness in the gluteal/piriformis region on one or both sides,
- Sciatica (pain down the back of the leg). Sciatica can be caused by nerve impingement in the lower spine or by tightness in the piriformis muscle.
- Other nerve symptoms, like numbness or tingling down one or both legs.
Usually low back pain is caused by one of the following:
- a recent injury, like a car accident, a fall, wrong or heavy lifting
- herniated or ruptured discs
- degenerative or arthritic bone changes
- strain or misalignment that develops gradually, like bad posture, overuse, old injuries that accumulate, repeated heavy lifting
- scar tissue from surgeries in that area
- unprocessed emotions or trauma that might affect that area
To work with low back pain my main tool is Ortho-Bionomy.
Ortho-Bionomy helps the body come into better alignment by addressing the way the nervous system organizes the structure. Through my 20 years of experience in working with bodies, I have come to realize that the most effective way to achieve change is by addressing the nervous system, since the nervous system directs all the structures and functions in the body.
When I work with low back issues, I work directly with the lower spine plus the rest of the spine (since the whole spine is very connected in its movements and balance through all the different parts), the structure of the pelvis and pelvic floor, the hip joints, as well as the legs and feet. I might work with other parts of the body as needed, since all body parts work together to create balance.
Even when there is degeneration in the discs, or herniated discs or arthritic changes, Ortho-Bionomy can help to reduce or eliminate pain. It helps the body deal with any issues present in a more organized way and creates more comfort and ease.
When indicated, I might bring in Craniosacral Therapy or body centered trauma resolution work to address other layers involved in the low back pain. For example, if the low back pain is due to a car accident, we will address the traumatic impact of the accident as well (see Car accident recovery).